DHI (Direct Hair Implantation) should not be considered a new method but a modified form of FUE hair implantation that contains the same processes and results. In FUE hair transplant, the doctor creates channels over the recipient area using sapphire blades and places the grafts into the opened channels.
On the other hand, in the DHI method, the doctor uses a tool resembling a ballpoint pen to insert the grafts into the recipient area without creating any channels. This tool is called the Choi pen.
How is DHI Hair Transplant Done ?
DHI hair transplant is performed with a Choi pen during the creation of the channels. This small device, shaped like an interlocking ballpoint pen, has an outer Teflon coating and is designed resistant to 130 degrees Celsius. There are needle points where grafts are placed at the end. This needle resembles an injector but it is vertical and the endpoints are ripped. The ripped ends are made this way so that the hair grafts can be placed into the needle before the transplant.
Advantages of DHI Method
4 to 6 implanter pens are used for an average DHI hair transplant process. The method consists of two stages. Placing the hair follicles into the pen: A specialist and 2 assistants take part in this stage. This step must be completed quickly. Hair follicles taken from the petri dish are placed inside the pen one by one. These hair follicles are placed into the needle by sliding.Transplant of the grafts placed inside the needle: The needle points with the grafts inside are approached to the hairless area with an appropriate angle and the skin is pierced with the needle. At this point, the pen is pressed from the top. After the hair follicle at the needle’s end is pushed into the hole in the hairless area, a DHI hair transplant is done.
Important Matters in DHI Hair Transplant As it is in every application, it is important that a DHI hair transplant is carried out by a specialist. The size of the holes pierced in the skin is of particular importance during the process. There is no possibility of success if the holes are too big.
Differences Between DHI and FUE
- Implantation between existing hair for who have completed the hair loss period and over the age of 40.
•- Hair transplantation for women
•- Unshaven hair transplant
DHI Method Disadvantages
- Limited number of grafts
•- Sparse transplant
•- More expensive than the other methods
- DHI is advantageous for the implantation between the existing hairs without shaving. On the other hand, FUE is not in an advantageous position because it damages the existing follicles in this type of hair transplantation.
- While the maximum number of grafts is 3000~3500 with the DHI hair transplantation technique, this number makes it possible to plant 5500 or more with the FUE method.
- While the DHI method creates a disadvantage in planting with a large bald area and a big number of grafts, the FUE method can be planted with maximum density and naturalness regardless of the size of the bald area.
- When planting with the DHI method, the follicles stay outside longer and its health is adversely affected. Since the follicles transplanted with the FUE method have a shorter exposure time, a healthier planting is performed.